Friday, November 28, 2014

I'll have a blue Christmas without you...

So, my husband and I just finished putting up our first Christmas tree in our new house! We have a fire place to hang the stockings, a big living room for the tree and a beautiful mantel for the nativity scene. We are beyond blessed and I am very much looking forward to Christmas. Yet, I find myself feeling homesick every Christmas.
Perhaps this little joke will explain it:

"How do you tell which people are Newfoundlanders in Heaven?"

"They are the only ones who want to go home."

It's certainly not logical to long for a place that is 3000 miles away. It is cold and windy and damp and dreary. It costs more than 1000$ to get there and the journey is treacherous but every Christmas I miss "home."
I guess if you do the same thing every year for Christmas for 25 years then no matter what you do its just different, not bad but different.
They say that once you leave home you can never really go back and I guess its true. 
Even if I were to go home now its not the same, time has passed, and people near and dear to me have passed away. 
One of the things that bothers me the most is the main reason why we don't travel to Newfoundland for Christmas is because of my Hemophilia. 
One year we travelled home and I had a cyst rupture and bleed. I was in pain, I was bleeding internally and all the doctor in Stephenville would do, and this is the honest to gods truth, is give me a shot of vitamin K. It did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It was a nightmare. 
It was very scary for both me and Zane and thus we haven't returned to Newfoundland for Christmas since.
This year, has also been challenging,we've had two family members diagnosed with illnesses and of course my health hasn't been perfect either.
I am praying that Christmas will be wonderful and continue on into the new year! In the meantime I am gonna focus on all the good things we have in our lives.

A picture of Zane and I during our last visit to Stephenville for Christmas.





No comments:

Post a Comment