Saturday, September 20, 2014

Red Band Society

So, I recently watched the show Red Band Society. Its all about some high school children being treated in the hospital. I myself spent my grade 7 year in the Janeway Children's Hospital in St. John's Newfoundland. 
I had my 13th birthday in the hospital and I went to classes every day just like in the show. I can't relate to everything in the show but some parts really hit home for me. The title comes from the wrist bands the kids wear and I can completely relate to having a special attachment to your hospital band. The one I wore for that year was white and had my hospital number which I still remember 201-266. I had a hard time taking it off once I was released from the hospital and once I finally did, I couldn't part with it and to this day its at my mothers house in Newfoundland wedged in between two books.
Looking back on the whole experience I don't know how I got through it. Lately if I'm in the hospital even over night I just hate it. I guess as a child you are more resilient. 
The kids on the show have parties and hang out together which I can't relate to at all there wasn't a lot of fun to be had while I was there. I mostly remember spending time with my mom and dad. We would watch movies, make crafts and play games. Dad and I went through every Where's Waldo book ever made and I think mom and I were up to date on every soap opera going. 
Anyways my point is this is a very cute show and you should check it out. I bet a lot of my Hemophilia friends can relate to spending long periods of time in the hospital and the funny things we do to get through it.


No comments:

Post a Comment