Wednesday, January 15, 2014

David

So,  yesterday on my way home from the hospital I received some sad news. My friend David, passed away. He was only 30 years old and had been suffering from a rare form of cancer. I don't know all of the details as I have been pretty self involved over the past few weeks as I have not been feeling well. 
I met David about 7 years ago when I first got involved with the Canadian Hemophilia Society. We met at the first conference I've ever attended-a youth conference in Orilia, Ontario. We spent the weekend chatting, laughing and playing games. Over the next few years David and I worked on the Volunteer Development Committee as well as the National Youth Committee. David was so kind and gentle and so friendly to everyone he met its so sad to think he is no longer here.
I can't help but think how unfair it is. For a long time I use to think that it was one disease per person but over the years I've learned that no one is exempt from pain and illness. 
I can't imagine how sad his family must be as I know that his Hemophilia family is devastated. 
I didn't know David was sick and I never got a chance to tell him how wonderful he was. I never got to tell him how important all of his work with the Hemophilia Society was and I never got to say goodbye. 
I suppose nobody gets to say goodbye we don't know how long we are on this earth for and all we can do is try and enjoy it while we can. 



No comments:

Post a Comment