Friday, October 21, 2011

Catching some Z's at the Zoo

So, tomorrow night I will be sleeping at the Zoo! I never thought I would say that. I've planned a Sleepover at the Zoo for girls affected by bleeding disorders. We have about 14 girls coming and two other moms are sleeping over with me to help out. I am speaking at the event for about a half hour and I've been struggling what it is I want to say to these girls. The overall thing I want them to know that if they ever have a question, no matter what it is I will be available to answer it for them. Until the age of about 13 I had never talked to another female Hemophiliac in my life, so when I had questions about growing up with Hemophilia, no one could answer me, not my mom, not my doctor, no one. Until I got in touch with Sadie. My aunt Diane had searched the Internet for me and found a lady in the US who not only had Hemophilia but was a severe factor 5 Hemophiliac! I use to call Sadie night and day and we would talk about anything and everything, Can I get my ears pierced? Can I go into the Steam Room at the gym? She was so patient and kind with me. No matter what was going on in my life as soon as I heard her soft sweet voice on the other end of the phone I knew everything was going to be ok. I figured if Sadie got through it then I could get through it too! To this day I still keep in touch with Sadie and it is my dream to meet her one day! Being a woman is not easy and being a woman with a bleeding disorder is particularly tough bu it's important to keep a positive attitude and reach out to you family and friends around you when you need to. That's what I've been doing for 28 years an it's worked for me!
I don't know exactly what I will say to those girls tomorrow night but I hope they know that no matter how bad things get there is a wonderful, supportive bleeding disorders community out there! and I hope we don't get eaten by bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment