Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sleepover at the Zoo

So, A few months ago I came up with the idea to plan a Sleepover at the Calgary Zoo for young women ages 10-16 who are affected by bleeding disorders. I was inspired to create a girls only event after attending a Women and Bleeding Disorders Conference here in Calgary put off by the Canadian Hemophilia Society. I really enjoyed the event and it helped me realize that I wasn’t the only one going through all of this difficult medical stuff. It also gave me the opportunity to interact with other female Hemophiliacs and ask them questions. I made friendships that weekend that I cherish and I’ve learned things from the other woman that no book could ever teach me and I really want to offer that opportunity to other young girls. I often say that 80% of my major bleeds have been due to the fact that I am female so I really feel it’s important to educate and support young women about their bleeding disorder. My hopes for the sleepover are that it will be both fun and educational for participants. We will be having a special presentation from Hulda Niv, Social Worker for the Southern Alberta Pediatric Oncology and Bleeding Disorder Program at the Alberta Children’s Hospital. Niv will be talking about self esteem and will give the participants a chance to ask questions. I will also be speaking briefly to share my personal experience and to talk about the CHS and how it has helped me cope with Hemophilia and how it has helped me improve my public speaking skills and writing skills. I will also mention how I’ve used my blog Hemophilia is for Girls to share my experience with others and connect me to other resources and support. Education materials publish by the CHS and World Federation of Hemophilia will also be available at the event. Our own personal zoo keeper will treat us to a tour of the Canadian Rockies section of the Zoo and we will sleep under the stars. The Girls Sleepover at the Zoo will take place on October 22, 2011 at the Calgary Zoo at 7 p.m. Anyone who is interested in participating can contact Ryanne Radford at ryanneradford@hotmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryanne!! My name is Beth, I am 47 years old(young) and I have type 3 von Willebrand Disease. I have no vWF factor and my factor 8 level is 2 - 5 %. I have 2 daughters that have type 1 vWD, they are 20 and 23 and wonderful. I am very blessed to have them, I was told never to have children and I ended up having a hysterectomy when I was 30.

    I am so glad to see an interest in working with the younger girls. It is great to meet up with people your own age and find lifetime friends to share with.

    I love this blog, it is therapeutic to me as I am sure it is to you! I hope to hear from you soon! Stay well!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete