Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

So, today is the ten year anniversary of the September 11th attacks. I couldn't help but watch all the touching tributes today on TV. I remember exactly where I was on September 11th ten years ago. I had been visiting a friend in Nova Scotia and I was travelling back with his grandmother to Newfoundland on the ferry. As we are driving we start to hear all these announcements on the radio describing what was going on in New York City. We just couldn't believe it was hard to figure out what was going on and the fact that we were listening to the radio did not help, it felt like it was some kind of joke. As we were travelling Pauline starts to tell me about how her husband was in the war and during war times they actually bombed the caribou ferry. My disbelief started to turn into fear over our 12 hour journey to Newfoundland. When we finally arrived in Stephenville, Newfoundland our tiny little town was turned into a safe haven for planes that had to make emergency landings after the attacks. Once I drove past the airport and saw all the planes from different countries it really set in. Watching the tributes today was not only heartbreaking but really eye opening as well. I had no idea that the service workers suffered from so many medical conditions as a result of the toxins in the air that day. Those brave people were simply trying to help and they should have nothing but health and happiness for the rest of their lives but instead they are sick and dying. The fact that this tragedy was planned is scary to me. I like to think that people are good and decent and that the world is a beautiful place the fact of the matter is there is evil in the world and all we can do is pray for health and happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment