Monday, April 5, 2010

You got to do what you got to do!

I recently went to visit one of my hemophiliac friends at the Foothills Hospital here in Calgary.
I've been to visit him before when he had a transfusion but this time he was in with a bleed that the doctors still aren't able to fix.
I expected him to be a bit upset or maybe a little scared.
But I walked in the room to find him laughing and joking as if nothing was wrong.
I sat with him for about an hour. He was on pain killers and had an IV in but he didn't complain about a thing! He actually asked me how I was doing and listened to me complain about things going on in my life.
His treatment includes getting infused every 4 hours and blood work and CT scans and God only knows what else.
He is so strong and does it while appearing as though everything is fine.
I guess it's amazing what becomes normal to you after living with Hemophilia since birth.
I remember thinking how awful it is for him to have to spend all of Easter in the hospital but it didn't seem to bother him at all.
And now what I think about it i've spent birthdays, easter, Valentines Day and Christmas in the hospital and when you are in that situation I guess you just have to suck it up and do what you have to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment