Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Reunion

So its been 10 years since I graduated high school! I can't believe it. Our graduating class is discussing getting together next year to celebrate the occasion.

I am really looking forward to it I must say. Especially since I wasn't suppose to even make it that far. I remember my father telling me about how the doctors told him that they didn't expect me to live long enough to graduate high school so it's nothing short of a miracle that I am helping to plan my 10 year reunion.

Some people say they hated high school and I understand how they feel but for the most part, I really enjoyed it. I had the normal, high school experience not knowing what to wear and all that but having Hemophilia added extra challenges.

For one, I was out sick most of grades 7 and 11. In between that I would be out for days or weeks at a time.

Grade 7 for example I nearly bled to death. My periods were out of control and I developed ovarian cysts that ruptured and bled causing me to have massive internal bleeding.

I was rushed air ambulance to the Children's Hospital where I stayed for more than 6 months.

Now I am 26 and I have no problem talking about my bleeding problem or my period, but when you are in grade 7 it's the last thing you want to talk about.

For the next 6 months I had to stay in the hospital away from all of my friends and family. I got a blood transfusion every 12 hours and countless ultrasounds, ct scans and blood work and that's not even the worst part!

While I was sick, the principal thought it would be a good idea to get all the grade 7's together and have the health nurse explain why I was in the hospital!

I was devastated. A friend of mine called me to tell me what happened and I threw up all night. I think the nurse eventually gave me a sleeping pill to calm me down.

The funny part was nobody really cared. When I got back from the hospital everyone seemed so happy to see me and didn't make fun of me or anything like that.

I still have all the cards and letters from that year. I posted them all around my hospital room and I think I had about every inch of the walls covered. The letters were sweet and funny but most of all encouraging. I couldn't believe the support, care and kindness everyone showed me and I will never forget it as long as I live.

I think having them rooting for me back home helped me get better as quickly as I did.

A reunion means a lot of things to different people but to me it's like going back to see family!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryanne,

    I don't know many people who have been through what you have been through and still have such a postive outlook on life. You are a true inspiration!!xoxox.. If more people had a shread of your positive energy the world would be a better place.

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Nadine! It means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that time in your life back in grade 7 and visiting you in the hospital in St. John's. I even remember reading the cards that we had all sent you on your hospital room wall! I didn't really understand everything that was going on at that point, all I knew was that I wanted my friend Ryanne to come home! We all missed you so much. You really are a trooper friend and thanks for continuing to light up other people's lives eventhough some days you may be suffering either emotionally or physically. You are one strong woman! Love and miss you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when you were in the hospital once (I think you were about 16?)and you had lent me Blind Melon's Nico Blue.
    I was so sad and worried about you at the time and it really stuck with me. Every single time I hear blind melon now I think of how much I love you and how brave you are. You really do light up other peoples lives Ryanne, most of my fondest memories of that time revolve around you.

    ReplyDelete